Recalled, Error and Rare Comics
This site is dedicated to listing rare comics of the modern era covering 1980 to the present time. There are three broad categories on the website: Verified Recalled comics, Error & Rumoured Recalls and other rare Comics (which is further split into: Ultra & Super Rare and Rare & Low Distribution). Please use the sidebar to the left for quick access to the individual comics and sections (the navigation bar above also provides quick access to each section).
- Apologies but I am not around for most of August and updating the website will be a challenge.
- After that time, check back on Sunday morning or afternoon for updates.
Recent updates/additions August, 2014:
Recent updates/additions July, 2014:
- Superman #75 Poly-Bagged Platinum Edition
- Rai (2014) #2 Recalled Mask Variant
- Spider-Man #1 Platinum & Gold UPC variants
- The Black Hole #4 - Rare Whitman (pre-pack only)
- CGC Recalled League Tables
- Venom: Lethal Protector #1 - Missing Foil
Recent updates/additions June, 2014:
- Peter Panzerfaust #1 First Print, Feb 2012.
- G.I. Joe #21 Renegar Silver Foil Variant
- Rare & Low Distribution Comics
- Ultra-rare and Super-rare comics
- Turtlemania Special #1 Gold Variant
- Silver Surfer v3 #50 Foil Errors
- Eternal Warrior #27 VVSS Signed & Embossed Edition
- CGC Recalled League Tables June 1st, 2014.
Many older comics are rare due to only few copies surviving through the years and also due to lack of collectors back in the earlier periods (many comics were sadly read and discarded). However, numbers of collectors seemed to have increased through the 1970's and 1980's which has decreased the number of rare issues during this time (and the Silver age before it). There are obviously still popular issues such as the first full appearance of Wolverine in The Incredible Hulk #181 but this issue is not rare as there are many copies available. Condition is also a factor: Many comic books were produced on poor quality paper with acidic inks causing them to quickly degrade over time making any high grade copies rare.
Fast forward to the Modern era and rarity is something that the comic industry has been manufacturing since the early 90's with numerous cover variants of varying degrees of rarity (1:25,1:100,1:300 etc). The introduction of CGC graded comics in 2000 also started a new collecting craze for sealed professionally graded comics and rarity can be seen within the grade banding: 9.8 is a must-have grade for a modern comic but the extreme rarity of mint comics (graded 9.9 and 10.0) means these can change hands for ludicrous sums.
This takes us on to one of the more interesting areas where a particular comic book has a problem and has to be recalled. Depending on the timing of the recall this can severely limit the number of comics in the public domain, for example, the recall notice on Elseworlds 80-page giant only applied to the U.K. as the recall occurred before they were due to be distributed in the U.S. (they were shipped to the U.K. in advance). If there is any sort of publicity around the recall and/or the comic involves a popular character, this adds to the demand which will obviously outstrip supply for the rarer issues, leading to the prices skyrocketing.
Anyway enjoy the website, hopefully it has some useful information for anyone wanting to collect or invest in rare comic books of the modern age.